Sunday 15 August 2010

Medieval Towns: Part Two: How to teach

Following from the previous lesson on medieval towns I would now look at the different trades, the role of guilds, perhaps medieval punishments (using the information I found from the presentation from TES) and then rounded off the topic of medieval towns with a task concluding the topic of medieval towns.

Some activities which could be used in this lesson:

1. I would explain to them there was a number of different trades introduced in the medieval period, some of which no longer existed and when I explained the different trades to the students I would ask them to guess what some of the trades were e.g. a cordwainer, a thatcher,a combere or a skinner. Furthermore following on from the last lesson where I asked them to chose where they would place their towns if they were building one, I could ask them to look at some of the different trades (using a worksheet like this: http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/year7links/life/groups.pdf) and then discuss between them where they would place each trade in their town and also for them to consider if some of these trades would not fit into their town and why this would be.

2. I would explain to them what guilds were, why they were introduced and why it was so important as a craftsmen to be part of one as well as looking at the different levels of craftsmen: apprentice, journeymen and master. (I could do this by using some of the information off this worksheet from TES: http://www.tes.co.uk/download.aspx?storycode=6042297&type=X&id=6050407storycode=6042297&type=X&id=60504076050407) Once I had finished this explanation of guilds I would ask the students to come up with reasons for why it would be good and bad to become part of a guild and ask them to consider the following points: How easy it would be to change trades and how independent they would be if they joined a guild etc. Once they had finished this task I would ask them to create their own trademark for their guild using some of the pictures below as an example.


3. I could then look at medieval punishments and explain to the children using the powerpoint already added to this blog how people were punished in the middle ages and why, I could then ask them to decide using these cards: http://www.tes.co.uk/download.aspx?storycode=6011150&type=X&id=6009646 which punishments people would receive for each crime.

4. Finally I could ask the children to work in groups of between 2 and 4 and to create their own role play of a medieval town and ask them to remember to include all the aspects we had looked at in our lesson on medieval towns e.g. charters, guilds, medieval punishments, trading in towns etc. Once this had been completed I would ask them to act them out to the rest of the class and for each group to tell the other groups what was good about their presentations and what they thought could have been improved.

5. As an end to this lesson on medieval towns, I would ask them to discuss amongst themselves what was good and what was bad about medieval towns and what they would change if they were to live in a medieval town and why this would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment